Thursday, June 23, 2022

 

Chapter 5:  You Just Might Find… You Get What You Need


On a warm May day in 1989, I wrote my final exam of my final year in university. Latin 101 (a bird course to fill out my credits while I waited to get my golden ticket into the foreign service). Spectacularly, about two minutes in, I realized that our glorious hippy-dippy prof had based half the exam on Rolling Stones’ lyrics. 

Non semper id quod voles.  You can’t always get what you want (but if you try sometimes, you just might find you get what you need ๐ŸŽถ). 

I remember giggling maniacally in the gym, and then singing in my head like it was the Altamont Speedway concert - through the final stroke of the exam, and all the way down to the sticky velvet sofas of the old Duke of Somerset pub, as the power tune of the last hurrah of my last day of university. 



I think of this song every time I feel myself on the rising wave of a big change in my life. A wistful, yet euphoric personal anthem.  On June 15th - the day that marked one month til my final day of work before retirement - I idled in the Timmies drive-thru, and there it was on my radio. You can’t always get what you want, Tamara (unless it’s the Timbit multipack, in which case, you’re all set).

Life transitions come in different packages. Some announce themselves in big shiny boxes, with bold, type-faced labels: Marriage. Children. A new job. You open these with a sense of occasion, with care, and you make them a centrepiece of your life for years ahead.

Others sneak by you in a rumpled brown paper bag, the unforeseen product of a casual decision, or maybe something you didn’t order at all. It wasn’t what you wanted, but it is what you got.

I chose my university because I tried (and failed) to join the parliamentary page program. I joined the foreign service because I got dumped by my first real boyfriend, and thought that dramatically running away to a far-off land would be a comeuppance. Got engaged two months into dating my future, and soon thereafter ex-, husband because, well, he asked.

Sooo… thoughtful decision-making may not always be my strong suit… but the unexpected consequences of ill-planned life moments have brought me great joy. The incredible friends,  kooky adventures - and indeed, some fairly spectacular post-divorce snogs - are worth every detoured dream and silver-lined swap I have had to make. 

Choosing retirement now, at (not quite) 55, may well be a paper-bag decision - an urge for change that could just amount to the need for a really good nap. The sense of moment comes and goes, feeling more like the heady, concentrated freedom of a grade-11 summer vacation (Let’s steal the car and have the craziest 8 weeks ever!!) than the sober embrace of new - final??! - phase of life. 

And I don’t really know if I will get what I want in this next life transition - mostly because I don’t actually know what I want (aside from that nap. And many cocktails. And - why not? - let’s throw in some snogging). Living my life by the philosophy of the Rolling Stones hasn’t let me down yet, and I am sure that whatever comes next, I will have what I need.

๐ŸŽธ๐ŸŽธ๐ŸŽธ









6 comments:

  1. A fun reflection on where you are and the many paths ahead … one of which you’ll test out after your nap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am cracking up over your Latin exam. What did I get? De Rerum Natura, that's what I got. Do you think that explains my very different life choices? Hmm.
    Yes, there are decisions you take with a push of the thumb that turn out to be momentous. And not. I too have thought about it and written about them.
    I see this decision to retire as one that could go either way. After your nap and your amazing holiday, what are you going to come home and do? What are your options, opinions and openings. (Ah, alliteration!) For me, it was volunteering, in areas where I had expertise and where there was, for lack of a better explanation, what I saw as a me-sized hole I could fill. There were also a few that my family pushed me into, and some of those were fun too. Central Choir helper, for one instance.
    That may not be where you end up, but look out that you are not grabbed up. You have a hell of a lot to offer, a hell of a lot, and that is going to make you very popular, I suspect.
    But, most of all, you have time and security in which to find out who you are going to be now. It will be a great person, I am very sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this comment. I have felt urges to volunteer for a long time… and then guilt for not doing it. I see this as an important part of my future in Ottawa, to be sure.

      Delete
  3. I see this phase of our lives as one where, with the safety blanket of a (great) pension, we can try out the things we always wanted to do but never had the time, or some other reason like they did not pay enough. I think this is the time to volunteer, or work part-time doing something you love but will not make you rich, or mentor others formally or informally, stepping up on your own terms at times (seasons?) that suit you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. Your exploration and discovery of all the incredible options waiting for you will probably be the best part. Enjoy ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! Please be kind.

  Chapter 8: Yoohoo… anybody home…?? In Retirement 101, one of the first things they tell you is that you must prepare to lose the work-base...